Brazilian jiu-jitsu has been around since the 1800s, but it has been slowly gaining popularity in the past years, especially with the emergence of the MMA and the like. More and more people have picked up the contact sport as it not only promotes health but also builds up other skills.
People who have committed to learning the art will say that the sport not only promotes physical fitness, but it can also build character. Some have even turned to its philosophies as a way of life.
If you’re thinking of taking up a sport, consider jiu-jitsu as it can help your life in many ways. Check out the list below to see just how many benefits you can get from this sport.
- It makes you strong and healthy – there’s no denying that this is a sport that can take its toll on the body. If you are truly committed to getting better, there’s no doubt that you will soon get toned and fit as you keep practicing this martial art. You will be spending hours grappling, which will shed fat. If you’re looking an alternative way to lose that weight you’ve been trying hard to lose, chose Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
- You will begin to shift to a better diet – as you continue to lose weight and get toned while doing jiu-jitsu, you will realize that it’s not just enough to shed the extra pounds. What you put into your body is just as important. You cannot expect to get better at the sport if you have a poor diet that is composed of fats and unhealthy food. As you start to get more committed to the sport, you’ll find yourself consciously choosing the healthier choices in the menu.
- It builds up your confidence – there’s no denying that playing this game can bring you to a place outside of your comfort zone, but as you get better at playing it, your confidence level in playing also increases. This can translate into your everyday life, and you will also be able to handle any situation coming your way.
- You become a better logical thinker – there are people who call jiu-jitsu as human chess. It’s not enough to just have brute strength when playing this sport. It also requires strategy in order to win over your opponent. The more training you get, you’ll find more ways to handle a situation logically. You’ll be able to see every angle as you play, and you’ll also learn how to look for and seize opportunities in order to take your opponent down.
- It helps you be more humble – what makes jiu-jitsu great is that you don’t ’t win based on just your size or strength. You may find yourself losing to an opponent much smaller than you, and you won’t be able to feel anything but humbled. Being humble is a good thing as it teaches us to not take anything for granted and it also allows us to see our weaknesses and find ways on how we can improve.
Brazilian jiu-jitsu is such a great sport that can benefit anyone, young and old. For people who live at Baltimore jiu jitsu can be a fun way to develop not just your health but your life as well.